February 2015 marks the 20th Anniversary of
I'm so proud of this book--a true case of "the little engine that could"; a book originally written for my fledgling creative writing classes way back in Carrollton, Georgia, yet has continued to sell year after year, month after month.
The Essential Guide has been used in so many places: prison creative writing programs, university MFA programs, homeschool seminars, and in such a variety of writers' groups it's mind-boggling: from New Zealand to India to California and back, The Essential Guide has accomplished everything I ever wanted for it. Thank you to all those who have purchased the book (and thank you for the fan mail), and welcome new readers if you're investigating the pages for the first time!
Basically the book is a streamlined "how to" manual designed to establish and maintain your everyday writing habits. It cuts right to the essence of what makes a good story, listing the main building blocks all publishable writing, both fiction and nonfiction, should include.
Some of the things you'll find inside:
- Getting your ideas right where you want them--on paper.
- What editors are looking for, and how to get the to look at you.
- Creative conflict--the driving force behind character, goal, and plot.
- Narrative hooks--grab your reader and don't let go.
- Setting and dialogue: "I really felt I was there!"
- Turning your ides into scenes, and your scenes into fully finished manuscripts.
- Desire, visualization, and commitment--the three key ingredients to selling your work.
- Writing the right query letter and book proposal.
Writing exercises at the end of every chapter, too! Take a peek at the trailer:
Wow. It's been a journey, friends. May the next 20 years be just as exciting, or more!
Tip of the Day: To celebrate The Essential Guide's birthday, I'm having a special price at my website--just $5.95 from now until March 20, 2015. The price includes free domestic shipping to anywhere within the USA. You can't go wrong--get your copy today!