Tuesday, February 23, 2010

New Blog Award--Lucky 7



It's true--the best things in life aren't "things." Last week I received a blog award (above) from my friend and fellow author, Shawn Murray . The award was especially meaningful to me because Shawn was one of the first writers I ever knew to have a blog. I've always been impressed by her discipline and dedication to her craft, so it's thrilling to have her input on my own efforts. Thank you, Shawn! For this particular award, the requirements are that I share 7 pieces of info about myself and then choose 7 blogs I feel deserve the award too. I'll start with me (yes, it's all about me!!):
  1. My preferred writing tool is a Waterman fountain pen filled with violet, turquoise, or brown ink depending on my mood.
  2. I studied art history at the National Gallery in London for two years and attended lectures anywhere from three to seven days a week.
  3. My bachelor's degree is from Auckland University in New Zealand and I majored in Spanish with an emphasis on Spanish film and literature (we were a very tiny department).
  4. I want to go to Japan. Badly.
  5. I'm a serious minimalist. My ideal wardrobe fits into a medium-sized suitcase and I only have one small bookcase. Excess or unused "stuff" makes me nervous.
  6. I'm a vegetarian and never can follow a recipe, much preferring to invent my own.
  7. I love Formula One motor racing and cannot wait for the new season to start.

Okay, enough about me. Now to hand out my awards:

  1. http://eugeniaalvarez.wordpress.com/ Eugenia's posts are in Spanish and despite my terribly neglected language skills, the first thing I noticed when I visited her blog is that she writes straight from the heart. I highly recommend everyone getting a English/Spanish dictionary and following along because what Eugenia writes is worth reading.
  2. http://olivosartstudio.blogspot.com/ Claudia and Sergio Olivas are two artists from Chile and Mexico (blog is in English). Fantastic artwork and much inspiration for newbie artists such as myself.
  3. http://dmsolis.blogspot.com/ Diane Solis's blog is new to me and I wish I had known about it much sooner. Her blog is a work of art and filled with good information and writing prompts.
  4. http://dolcebellezza.wordpress.com/ Another blog I only recently discovered and one that concentrates on reading and thoughtful book recommendations. Many of my favorite authors are featured here. This is also another blog that is lovely simply to "look at."
  5. http://naptimewriter.blogspot.com/ I admire writer Amber Lough and her persistence to stay in the creative zone despite the challenges of raising two little kids still in footie pajamas. Great writing tips, great sense of humor.
  6. http://zigzagpaz.blogspot.com/ Pamela Anne Zolkov has just published one of the best books I've read in a long time: Zigzag Paz. I'm still reading and hope to post an interview with Pam as soon as I'm finished. Wish I had a book award to give her too!
  7. http://karilonning.blogspot.com/ Kari is a professional basket artist. Her blog is filled with wonderful photos of both her work and scenes from nature. Always makes me want to start yet another creative adventure.

So that's my list! Thank you again to Shawn Murray and thank you to my award recipients for sharing the art of life.

Tip of the Day: Please take the time to visit and read these great blogs. You'll be glad you did.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sweet of you to mention my blog, and a balm to my soul that it is "lovely simply to look at." In a world of busy-ness, it's nice to find a peaceful place, and I'm glad we enjoy the same authors as well! It's nice to meet you, and thank you for visiting me. Blessings, Bellezza

Victoria said...

Good for you, Valerie! Great list of blogs. I'm especially thrilled to check out Naptime Writer since, well, I live there too.

Eugenia said...

Valerie,
Thanks again for mention my blog. Like I said before, it means a lot to me
Hugs!

Amber Lough said...

Thank you so much! You are too kind!

オテモヤン said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Pam Zolkov said...

Thank you Val, only just saw this post now - very much appreciated. I don't know how you find the time and energy to write all the books you do, enjoy all your hobbies and families, read and review all the books you do, and more. You are such an inspiration. Love, Pam