Monday, September 10, 2012

I Love Cats!


True confession: If you send me a link to a video with cats, or tell me there will be a cat somewhere in the middle of the video if I look closely, or even tell me it just features 1-nanosecond of something that remotely resembles a cat, I will watch it. In fact, I will not only watch it, I will watch it again. And again. And then want to watch the sequel and probably read the book if one exists. 

The other day I got the full package when a good friend sent me a link to the absurdly, impossibly ridiculous faux E-Harmony video of "Debbie who loves cats," that has around 22+ million hits of which I've contributed about 5 or 6. If you've seen it already, I apologize in advance, and if you haven't, well, here it is. (Go on, you know you want to watch it. Again.)

After about the 6th time viewing it, I then realized there were spin-off videos of "Debbie": satires and diatribes, posers and posters and posts and so on. My favorite was the "Songify" version.

And then while I was laughing hysterically, tears at the corners of my eyes, I suddenly took a look at my office and computer table (yes, I know I should have been working on my writing rather than watching viral videos. . .). I was surrounded by cat images, i.e.,
  • My hand was resting on a cat mousepad.
  • A Mexican cat figurine was on my desk.
  • My favorite cat tote bag was on a chair facing me.
  • I was wearing cat earrings.
  • The binder holding my WIP, a nonfiction manuscript on pet ownership was covered in a cat collage I'd made to inspire my writing.
  • A stack of cat stickers was on the shelf of my computer hutch ready to be placed in my journal.
  • And for the last few weeks, I've been drawing cats and kittens in my sketchbook.
I was as bad as "Debbie"!

I loved their ears!


I loved their whiskers and noses!


And their little bow ties!


I had a problem!
Or maybe I just love cats?
 
Tip of the Day: What do you love? What's your passion? Basing our writing and creativity on the subjects we love is a surefire way to guarantee a constant source of inspiration.
 
 




2 comments:

Charlotte Fairchild said...

I wish I could send you a picture of my cats in my house. I am a dog person, and these 2 are stray cats. They are de-clawed and fixed. Even without the yearly visit they cost someone $500 each in getting spayed and declawed. I don't have ANY IMAGES of cats. I do have 2 cats, though. I hope you keep drawing them!

Sue said...

This is priceless, Valerie! I love everything about this post. Especially your cat sketches. Here's to more cats!