Thursday, November 1, 2012

My Altered Book and Nanowrimo 2012


This past week I've been obsessed with getting ready for National Novel Writing Month. Yes, I'm going for it again, but this time with a unique purpose: I want to write the text for my altered book.

I haven't blogged about the altered book project for a while, but that doesn't mean I've been ignoring it. To date, I've:
  • Gessoed all the pages.
  • Laid down layers of water color crayon on each page for my backgrounds.
  • Collaged each page with at least four images, sometimes more.
And there are a lot of pages--way too many and far more than I had bargained for. In hindsight, I now realize I should have gone through the book and gessoed several pages together to make a maximum of 24 thick pages instead of the dozens and dozens of thin ones it's taken me months to fill. Oh, well. Live and learn!

The stage I'm now at is I need to find--and write--my text, and here's where Nanowrimo comes in. My plan is to write a 50,000 word novella based on my altered book's title: Four Girls and Six Colleges, and then take random sections of text to paste or write out by hand onto my collaged pages. The hope is to end up with a completed altered book, as well as an illustrated novella, and maybe something more: I'm considering turning it all into a small animated film as well. Exciting!

Tip of the Day: Join me for Nanowrimo. Seriously. Although I've been planning my entry for a few months now, spontaneity can often be the key to success. And it's only 1650 words a day--you can do it.

P.S. Don't forget there's still time to enter my giveaway; the drawing will be at midnight tonight.  All you need to do is join the site and leave a comment. Super easy!

2 comments:

Kath said...

This sounds like such a great use of NaNoWriMo!! Are you going to use the images in your altered book as prompts for the fragments, or write the novella that comes or a bit of both? Good luck with the project however you do it - and I will be NaNo-ing along with you!

Valerie Storey said...

Yay for NaNoWriMo--the craziest month of the writer's year. I will be using whatever I can for inspiration--but the pre-made prompt book is defintely at the top of my list. As far as using images from the altered book, the most important parts for me are the pictures of the "Four Girls" and the "Six Colleges." What happens next will be anyone's guess, LOL. Thanks for stopping by, and Best of Luck to you, too, Kath.