Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Stay at Home and Check Out An Expat in India

Meet my friend, Sheri--she's on lockdown in India!!

Back in January, which now seems like an entire lifetime ago, one of my dearest friends, Sheri Goldberg, took an enormous leap of faith and headed off to India from California for one of those "trips of a lifetime." You know, the ones where you have nonstop adventures, meet amazing people, immerse yourself completely in a foreign culture and customs while tasting a wide variety of food under the headings of "good, bad, and ugly" and then you write all about it in a brand new and very captivating blog. That is, until you find yourself smack in the middle of a world-wide pandemic.  

Prior to coronavirus and Covid-19, Sheri had been sharing her extensive travels and notes via her excellent blog, An Expat in India. Starting in February, her posts about daily life were jammed with interesting people and fascinating photos:
 






And then, boom: lockdown in an Indian ashram, a place she was intending to visit, but I'm not sure her plans included staying put for weeks on end.

However, Sheri is such a good traveler and writer (and much braver than I'll ever be) that her current blog posts continue to testify to her warm sense of humor and ability to cope no matter what.

To get the full picture of how Sheri got from A is for Airport to A is for Ashram, I suggest you start reading from post number one. Her descriptions of everything from temples to street animals to spoiled cats and zany train rides will get you laughing for sure. They also set the stage perfectly for her recent post on celebrating Easter and Passover while finding solace in the natural world.

I tell you, my hat's off to Sheri. Traveling is difficult at the best of times, but this is certainly the stuff of true endurance. So for some highly entertaining travel reading and to get some helpful tips on how to make your own travel posts fun, lively and chock-full of information, I highly recommend you visit and subscribe by email to Sheri's blog, An Expat in India. It might be quite a while before any of us can travel again with ease and confidence, but in the meantime we can all be armchair travelers thanks to our friends and intrepid bloggers!

Tip of the Day: Travel blogging is a wonderful way to not only record the day-to-day happenings of any vacation or journey, but it's also a great way to gather material for a possible book or series of magazine articles--especially if you are in a position to experience current events from a unique and unusual perspective.

I hope you enjoy reading Sheri's blog and that you continue to stay safe, creative, and positive. Thinking of you all until next time. Take care and be well.

1 comment:

Sheri G. (AKA Supriya) said...

My dear Valerie, Your pitch for my blog made me cry... honestly! I never really saw myself in anything like the glorious light that you apparently do.. and in my darker days of lock-down, your kind words and incredible kudos give me much solace and joy! Whether or not any of your readers take your advice and check out my blog posts, it is enough for me that you are receiving what I intended: a touch of enlightenment, satisfying entertainment, and the opening up of a whole world in a strange land through the eyes of an expat. So thank you, thank you, thank you! Love ya lots!!!