Although I'm still a total newcomer to the site (http://pinterest.com/valeriestorey) and still figuring my way around, I'm already convinced Pinterest is a super-helpful place for writers. Whether it's about telling your personal story visually--any story, i.e., your sense of fashion style, where you went last summer, how much you love kittens, or just explaining what your next book is about, Pinterest is a serious way to deliver your message.
I must say that at first I was intimidated by all the zillions of pictures, and I did have some trouble seeing where I could fit into the mix. But that was last week. Now I can't stop coming up with ideas for "boards": the categorized pages where you actually put up your various pictures. Repinning from other people's boards has been a great way to get started, but I can also see how much fun it must be to find original pins to add to your own boards. (Hope this doesn't sound too confusing to non-Pinterest users--but stick with it--if I can do it, you can too!)
Right now I'm concentrating on creating boards that fit in with writing, and so far I've come up with 12 ways I hope to use this creative network. I haven't made all of these boards yet, but it's nice to plan for the future! Anyway, my first choices are:
- A board just for my various book covers.
- A board per book.
- A board for my book trailers.
- My favorite books, especially those that have influenced my writing.
- Writing prompts--quotes.
- Writing prompts--pictures.
- Writing encouragement and inspiration.
- A board per work-in-progress.
- Favorite pieces of artwork I'd love to use in a book cover or trailer.
- What I'm currently reading.
- Literary "shrines" and famous writers I love.
- Favorite creative supplies: pens, journals, sketchbooks, art goodies too.
Tip of the Day: If you're not already a member, do consider joining, or at least visiting, Pinterest.com. I think you'll find plenty of inspiration, even if you just use it to pin images to jump-start your daily freewriting. If you do decide to join, please be sure to follow me--I follow back! Happy pinning!