Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Setting My Goals for 2013

Happy 2013--and happy goal-setting!

At the start of every new year, I like to cast my resolutions in the form of goals; things I want to work toward to make the year both creative and meaningful. This year I've decided to go for 3 categories: Writing, Art, and Marketing with three goals each:

Writing:
  1. Revise and submit my new novel, The Abyssal Plain.
  2. Revise and submit my nonfiction manuscript, A Pet Owner's Book of Days.
  3. Type up my short story and poetry notebooks.
Artwork:
  1. Create 52 paintings--one a week. Sunday will be my dedicated painting day.
  2. Commit to a daily drawing practice--even if it's just for 15 minutes.
  3. This is the year I go professional. Everything is for sale!
Marketing:
  1. Submit my two manuscripts until they're sold!
  2. Create two more book trailers.
  3. Participate in local opportunities to sell books and artwork.
So that's me--how about you? I'd love to hear your plans.

Tip of the Day: Goal-setting is all about what you truly WANT to accomplish, not what you think you SHOULD achieve, or what somebody else has told you is the "right move" for your career or personal life. Make sure your goals come from your heart and not some image of what you think fits the "perfect writer or artist."



No comments: