Wednesday, April 13, 2016

#AtoZChallenge, K is for Kid-Lit


Today's post celebrates Kid-Lit, all the wonderful children's books in the world and what a fantastic subject they make for art journaling. Besides the hundreds of fairy tales I read as a child: The Blue Fairy Tale Book, The Red Fairy Tale Book and on and on through the entire rainbow, some of my favorite titles were:

  • Lona
  • The Diamond in the Window
  • The Door in the Wall
  • Little Bear
  • Little Women

Authors:
  • Zilpha Keatley Snyder
  • Edgar Eager
  • Lloyd Alexander
  • Laura Ingalls Wilder


Characters:
  • Trixie Belden
  • Donna Parker
  • Madeline
  • Babar

Of course there are hundreds more, far too many to list here, but I'm convinced that my early reading and love of picture books is what led me to become a writer, and what then later encouraged my deep interest in art. How about you? What were some of your favorites, and how did they help you become who you are today? Drop a line!
Tip of the Day: For today's journal page I started with a doodle of a frog, as in The Princess and the Frog. I'm a little rushed at the moment so I had to leave out the princess, as well as the kissing part, but it made me think how neat it would be to create an art journal based solely on fairy tales, myths, legends, or perhaps a children's story of your own. Who knows, it might even turn into a publishable picture book!

2 comments:

C R Ward said...

Some of my most cherished memories of my mother were her reading Black Beauty to me, and me begging for just one more chapter. I can't wait until my granddaughter is old enough for chapter books. Right now I'm glad there's such a wide selection of board books to read to her - she has a large selection.

My favourites as a child were fairy tales - Andersen, the brothers Grimm, Andrew Lang ... Of course my daughter is also a voracious reader and loved the Little House on the Prairie series, Narnia, and Anne of Green Gables.
Carol at My Writing Journal

Valerie Storey said...

Black Beauty! Yes, I loved that book too. I had completely forgotten about it, but it was such a favorite at the time. Thanks for the reminder and thanks for visiting. (And keep reading children's books--some of the most beautiful literature on the planet is written for the young at heart!)